Thursday, June 14, 2007

The last few days of the 2006/2007 school year

All the schools are getting ready for the summer vacations here in Belize. The private school has one more day to go & the public schools are in for one more week.

I hope that soon we'll know who needs sponsorship for next year, which books need to be bought, which can be re-used & what grades the kids are in. You won't believe how much confusion there can be around an issue like that. I mean, when I used to go to school it was clear, you either passed the grade or you were held back. Here I often end up with kids who were told that they were held back and then-once I've bought all the books on the list that they were given-I discover that they were moved on to the next grade anyhow and need a whole other list of books. Sometimes it seems to be more a case of 'let's put these kids in the class room that still has seating space left' than an actual reflection of their abilities. It's rather frustrating.

Now that we have this blog set up, we can actually scan in some report cards to show how the kids are doing.

No comments: